Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sweet Home Alabama

by Mary Stover
On Tuesday, June 26th, the townspeople came out by the dozen to enjoy local music. Most of the music was familiar to the American guests, as each song was a cover of something originally written and performed in English.

Throughout the event, townspeople and guests alike sang along with the music. At one point, while the band was singing “Sweet Home Alabama”, the Italian singer, as well as the Italian audience sang in unison, “Carry me home to see my skin…” A few Americans in the crowd were intrigued by the mistake. While some words rhyme and may easily be mistaken in lyrics, Italians wouldn’t typically know that “carry me home to see my kin” meant “carry me home to see my family”…while “carry me home to see my skin” is unheard of and fairly creepy.

A simple word can change the meaning of the entire song!

No comments:

Post a Comment