Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pink Floyd

by Mackenzie Yates 
Today the town of Cagli was bustling. Later that night, City Hall would be holding a fundraiser for children in Malawi. There was going to be live music and they were hoping for a good turnout. I was excited to see an authentic Italian band and see how the people of Cagli interact with each other. As I approached city hall, I could hear familiar melodic notes. They were playing Pink Floyds’ song “ I wish you were here.” I didn’t know whether to be excited or upset. As the night continued, I heard more American music (all sung in English) and watched how the town folk reacted. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves. Although nobody sang, they did pass out lyrics to the crowd. My expectation for the night was to get a feel for their culture. Instead I felt like I was back in Spokane hanging out with good friends.

Cultural dissonance can span many different horizons. I came to Cagli with a preconceived notion that we listened to completely different music. It made me wonder how much of our culture has seeped into theirs. What does Pink Floyd mean to Italian culture? The music that had meant so much to me growing up was being played in a different country and I struggled to understand if it held the same sentimental value. On the other hand, I smile to think that music knows no boundaries and it is there for everyone to enjoy. That night in Cagli will forever be a fond memory.

1 comment:

  1. very cool...I wish I could have joined the summer in Italy...instead it was 4 days in Spokane doing 517...Practicum....maybe I'll get to study in Italy next summer...I am half-way through the COML program so I don't have much time

    ReplyDelete