Saturday, July 14, 2012

Gastronomic Art

by Tracy Ging
It seems no one photographs food here. Perhaps Instagram hasn’t caught on in Cagli. I look around and not a single cell phone is out – no texting, no checking in on Four Square, no Facebook posts. The restaurant swells with laughter. Family and friends gather, relaxing into a meal. Wine is poured and conversation flows. I watch as a young woman grabs her grandmother’s hand. My meal arrives and I can’t resist grabbing my phone. Surely my friends want to see this pizza. Actually, I suspect they don’t. What am I trying to convey by posting food anyway? My interest in “gastronomic art” captures the attention of the table next to me. They chuckle. I am sure it appears strange. I suppose I use food to symbolize certain experiences. Among the Cagliese, I realize there is a difference between capturing a moment and living one.

No comments:

Post a Comment