Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pausa

by Chris Roark
Pausa. With no formal exposure to the Italian language, I had a simplistic idea what this term meant. To pause. To take a break. But, from what?

Twenty-four hours after arriving in Cagli, Italy, I was able to witness pausa. However, even after 72 hours, I’m not sure I can fully process the idea. After all, most of us here visiting come from a frantic 24x7 American way of working and living (or is it?). The concept of pausa is as foreign (to me) as the language itself. Closing your business in the middle of the day? Shutting down your computer? Turning off the lights and locking the doors to go home, eat and maybe rest for a few hours? Insanity! How can they do this? Yet, somehow it works.

From what I can tell, Cagli’s society hasn’t collapsed because of pausa– it appears to be doing rather well. People appear to be content, maybe even happy. What a novel concept! By the time I get home I’m certain I’ll feel an almost genetic urge to walk out of my office and disappear for 2-3 hours. Ahhhhh, if only…

No comments:

Post a Comment