Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Houston, we have a problem!

by Brad Basker
Sometimes we can be so interested in meaningful cultural experiences that we overlook others’ desire for the same thing. My profile subject is a 21-year-old aspiring physicist and full-time classic rock enthusiast named Fabrizio. The nature of our assignment is to document and explore the different perspectives of Cagliese life. I am proud to undertake this journey, but never fully considered the interest that others would have in my culture. Fabrizo only wishes to speak English with me so he can practice. Normally, I like to give a translation of my middle name to foreigners to break the ice, but he, and even his friends, insist on calling me Bradley. One even said it is a much better name and is beautiful. To top it all off, when I told him I was from Houston, he responded, “Oh yes! Houston we have a problem!”

I have shifted to accommodate these occurrences as much as possible, and feel that it is an important dynamic to consider. We cannot be so project-oriented that we overlook the opportunity and interest of others to exchange cultures. Not everyone will be as enthusiastic as Fabrizio, but I believe that sentiments like his deserve recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment