Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day Planners

by Libby Weber
As we soon approach the end of our first week in Cagli, I can’t help but still notice some fellow students (names not need mentioning) feverishly updating their day planners and calendars with various schedule updates – appointments with faculty, details on day trips, etc. Some pages are even tabbed or marked with highlighter, all color-coded and nicely organized. Although I myself do not keep as detailed notes during this trip, I can’t help but continue to create “check lists” throughout the week – just a way to keep my assignments and deadlines on track. At times I even find myself craving post-it notes. But then I sit around the piazza in the morning or in the evening, and as a people-watcher I study everyone else around me. Other than the loud and obnoxious Americans (and some, Canadians) that tend to get riled-up, no one else is pulling out such ludicrous contraptions such as day planners. How in the world do these Cagliese folks keep track of their day? What if they miss a very important meeting? Or an appointment with another Cagliese that ALSO doesn’t have a day planner??

As my time lapses here in Cagli, I begin to understand that maybe it really is just foreign to be so diligent of your schedule. Maybe I won’t need those post-it notes after all. But I am keeping my eye on you fellow students – keeping track if the highlighter usage rate will start to decrease…

No comments:

Post a Comment