Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Miscommunication at the Caffe

by Christopher Lopez
 The word “Café” or “Caffe” in Italian, is pretty much a universal term when referring to an establishment that sells beverages made from coffee beans. Your average American on a summer Euro-trip may me a bit surprised when they enter a European café. In Italy for example, these “Caffe’s” more closely resemble a bar than your neighborhood Starbucks. The walls are lined with a variety of wines and spirits. The person across the counter serves as both a barista and a bartender.

While visiting Cagli Italy I experience a humorous miscommunication with one of these establishments. As an American I find it very odd that alcohol and coffee are served and consumed in the same location. My mind naturally separates the two beverages into the times of day I feel these beverages are normally consumed. In the United States coffee or espresso is a drink for the morning. Also, in the United States alcohol is a drink for the evening. The consumption of alcohol too early in the day is even a taboo.

When I entered this café in Cagli I entered with presuppositions of what a café was. I walked up to the man and asked for two espressos and one latte. He looked mildly confused and repeated “two ‘espritzers’ and one latte?” Now, I am aware of what a spritzer is. I figured “there is no way that this barista would mistake an espresso for spritzers.” A few minutes later the man handed me the one latte and the two light alcoholic beverages I had apparently ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment