Saturday, July 14, 2012

Knowing Smiles

by Shelly Svedahl
Bright sunlight and exhausting heat are welcome features here in Italia but I’m wondering if its possible to have too much of a good thing. I wear my straw hat and sunglasses wherever I go to create my own shade.

Yesterday I opted for an indoor seat for the pausa and sipped my cappuccino quietly inside. In my upbringing, it is considered disrespectful to wear any type of a hat while indoors, so I immediately removed my hat and placed it on the table next to my cappuccino. Observing the activity of the coffee shop I snapped photos and was busy jotting notes when the server approached me and spoke in what I perceived was an angry annoyed voice. She was pointing at my table and I wasn’t sure if I was in trouble for depositing my hat on the table or if maybe my photographing and note taking was offensive or if perhaps it is bad form to set your hat on an eating surface.

I stammered my best “non parlo italiano… non capisco”… and waved my arms apologetically. Canadians are always quick to say “I’m sorry” so I added my best Italian accent and threw in the “Mi dispiace”.

In the end, we were able to communicate and I learned that she was complimenting me on my hat. Had I not been so worried about the possibility of offending her because of my cultural incompetence, I might have understood her gestures and realized they were not adversarial. We shared a laugh and each time I see her now, we exchange a knowing smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment