Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Il Dolce Far Niente

Il Dolce Far Niente - the sweetness of doing nothing
by Mary Stover

Americans want things done NOW. We want our coffee to go and we want to eat while we drive. We don't waste time. The Italians have perfected the art of enjoying life, one moment at a time.

At Caffe d'Italia, Jake forcefully encourages American students to sit down and enjoy their meal/coffee before they pay. This isn't normal for us; we pay and we leave. This sitting down business gets us all in a flutter. For two weeks, I've tried to pay before I've left the counter. I try to wait for my coffee before I sit down, and each time, without fail, Jake shoos me to a seat at a table on the patio. Whether I want it or not, I'm being shoved into relaxation.

The crazy part? I am loving it. I am hoping beyond hope that I can keep this going when I get home. I want to take moments to enjoy my life, my dog, my job, my coffee, my friends, etc. This notion of doing nothing scrapes at my very core, it fights my instincts to avoid all appearances of laziness - and encourages me to relax and breathe. It's awkward. It's new. It's odd. It's alluring.

Here's to more delicious moments on the patio!

No comments:

Post a Comment